What we needed to do in the first instance was to stop any more rats getting into the porch. After filling bags with bait, we pushed the bags into the tunnel back filling it with gravel and stones. A week later we returned to check the tunnel. The rats had been busy. The tunnel had been reopened and the bait was gone. But this was good news. It meant we were gaining control.
We returned for a second visit. Following the same procedure as the first visit, the tunnel was re-baited and again back filled with gravel. There was still a strong smell of burning and ammonia, but the scratching sounds weren’t being heard so often. Even more good news!
An appointment was made for the following week, when we once again checked the tunnel. Great news! This time no bait had been taken, no scratching had been heard since our last visit and the ammonia smell had started to fade. The only nagging issue was that if the light was left on for a period of time, the burning smell was still detectable. Not happy with the burning smell we wanted to check it out further.
Call in the Carpenter
To get a proper look inside the porch, we removed a section of plasterboard. The rats had certainly been busy! In total we found three rats nests, a dead rat and enough droppings to fill half a bucket. And it wasn’t long before we found the cause of the burning smell. Using insulation, one of the nests had been made over a spotlight.
We set about removing all of the debris before cleaning and disinfecting the area. Once it was clean we laid trays of orange deodorizing gel and new 200mm up-graded insulation over the joists. We then returned for a third visit when we installed a new access hatch. Custom made, the framework for the hatch fitted in between the joists and was finished off with a surround to match the door surrounds. With the hatch door fitted our job was done, turning rat infestation nightmares into a distant memory.
• One Job
• One Company
• One Price